Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Research Reflection.

Professor McCormick has taught us many key things in our English 103 class. Before this class I was in a writing class. Which is much different than writing a research paper. We only wrote papers about stories and compared them. We never cited information just quoted. So it’s a lot different.

Professor McCormick taught us a lot from making detailed outlines for every paper to adding to it to build on that paper. I was never a fan of making outlines but it is key to starting a paper. It helps me a lot with my first draft. The key thing I do is write my thesis before beginning my paper so that I have a basic idea of what I will be writing about. Recently we learned things when writing a paper on a story you must write in present tense. Professor McCormick also taught us when writing a research paper to construct it with what can be seen as a sandwich. You start with your introduction and you contextualize. The middle is quoting and you end it with your analysis that connects with your thesis statement. When writing a research paper it is very important to cite information. Every source has a different citation instruction.

The easiest citation is for books!!
Author's Last Name, Author's First Name. Full Title. Place of Publication: Publisher, Date. Medium of Publication [Print]. Series

Citations can be so confusing. But following the citation format can be very helpful. Thank you Dr.McCormick for introducing us to these techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment